Formerly known as 123 Army Cooperation Training Squadron, 439 Squadron was established in Bournemouth, England in December 1943. During World War II, it was equipped with Hawker Hurricane and Typhoon aircraft. Disbanded at the end of the conflict, it was reactivated in 1951 at the Uplands Airport in Ontario. Equipped with the F-86 Sabre, it was stationed in Marville, France. The Tigers flew the CF-104 Starfighter from 1964 to 1967, when the squadron moved to Baden-Soellingen, Germany, where it stayed until 1984. The squadron was equipped with CF-18 Hornets and deployed to Qatar in December 1990 to take part in the Gulf War.
Three years later, the Tigers became 439 Combat Support Squadron in charge of supporting operations of 3 Wing Bagotville. Engaging in a number of weekly flights with CH-146 Griffon helicopters to simulate rescues in difficult-to-access places has given the squadron an enviable reputation as rescuers brought in to help those in danger. In 1997, the Tigers were awarded the Golden Hawk trophy for their rescue work the previous summer during the Saguenay flood.
Photo : A Helicopter from 439 Combat Support Squadron departs from 3 Wing Bagotville.